Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Short And Bittersweet: Dickinson

Working hard to help out a fallen colleague means I've not a lot of time for thought of poetry today, but there is always time for thought, period.  Today my only free time was speaking to a few friends and going to a much needed yoga class, but emotions ran high.  For a brief moment I wished I could pick up the phone and talk with Emily Dickinson, who saw so little in her life but had so many insights.  Today's poem of the day reflects how I feel sometimes, perhaps a hazard of my day job-- or maybe it's just me.  Me, and Emily, that is...  

I Measure
by Emily Dickinson

I measure every grief I meet
With analytic eyes;
I wonder if it weighs like mine,
Or has an easier size.

I wonder if they bore it long,
Or did it just begin?
I could not tell the date of mine,
It feels so old a pain.

No comments: